Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Saint Mom and Sickly Can

We are not Catholics and the Latter-day Saints don't require three miracles and death to achieve sainthood, but Mom definitely earned the appellation of a saint after last night. I, of course, slept through most of it. I'm told that Can was up crying about every half-hour for a several hours last night. I was only aware of this when Mom let out an exasperated sigh at about 3:00 in the morning as Can woke up yet again. After coming to the realization that his crying was not some part of my strange dream, I decided to go and check on him. As I came to his bedside he kept saying, "a'quee bwoken, a'quee bwoken." Miraculously, I was blessed with the Gift of Tongues and promptly interpreted his cry to mean that his Lightning McQueen slipper had come off and he couldn't get it back on. As I put the slipper back on I realized that he felt warmer than he should have, so I aroused Mom to administer some acetominophen. He seemed to stay asleep for the rest of the night. I was aware of his blessed restfulness because I was unable to return to slumber, myself. I tossed and turned until after 5:30, when I fell back into a restful repose just in time for the alarm clock to wake me up and tell me to get out of bed. Ahh, the joys of parenthood.