Monday, February 05, 2007

Happy Manuscript Day! :-)

After months of work, last Friday I finally turned a draft of my article manuscript over to my boss. I have really been working hard to get this together and I began to wonder if I would ever get it done. It took me so long that I was feeling down on myself and my ability to organize my thoughts and write about my research. After staring at it for so long and struggling to get it written I could not look at it with an objective view, so I was worried about how it would read. As of this morning, the boss still had not read it and I was dreading what he would say. Then, this afternoon he sent me the following email.
You have made my day/week/month. Read over your draft very quickly. Entire manuscript is excellent. There will be very little to change. Keep doing exactly what you are doing.
Oh boy, can I tell you the relief that this brought me. When he came out into the lab I thanked him for his comments and compliments. Then he said, "I don't want this to go to your head but in the ten years since I have been doing this job, this is the best manuscript I have received yet."

I have written a number of grant applications since I have been in this lab and my boss has been very happy with these so it shouldn't be a surprise that he is happy with my manuscript. I just had such a hard time getting it to sound good to myself and it took so much longer than I thought it should have that I was worried about it. Tonight I'll sleep with a lighter feeling on my shoulders.