Friday, December 08, 2006

President Bush makes decisions based on principles

I transcribed this from an interview between President Bush and Foxnews' Brit Hume (actually taken from excerpts that Hugh Hewitt played of the interview).

Bush: I also remind them Brit that, uh, that Laura and I are sustained by the prayers of millions of people. Now that’s hard for some to, you know I guess, cue on.

Hume: You sense it?

Bush: Absolutely, and…

Hume: I know they tell you that when you see them out on the... [garbled]

Bush: I feel it!

Hume: You feel it?

Bush: Yeah.

Hume: How, how much in the terms of your daily…

Bush: I feel as if the load is not heavy, I guess is the best way to describe it. Somebody said to me, “prove it.” I said, “you can’t prove it.” All I can tell you is I feel it. And, um, it’s a remarkable country when millions pray for me and Laura. Therefore, I am able to say to people that this is a joyful experience, not a painful experience. And, yeah it’s tough. But that’s O.K. It’s tough times, and there’s a lot of big issues.

The interview continued with the following.

Hume: What role does your faith play in your good spirits, in the face of all these difficulties.

Bush: I, I, um, I think it, I think that, uh, I think that I know that my relationship with an almighty provides comfort. And strength during difficult times. Just like it provides comfort and strength at difficult times for others, as well. And um, so prayer matters to me, and the prayers of others matter a lot in my life, and um, so to those who worry about me I say, “don’t worry about me.” You know, we’re doing fine.

Hume: One last…

Bush: Yes it’s tough, and it’s tough because there are a group of murderers out there that are, you know. You know, think about this. Think about a world in which a young democracy is trying to get started and people kill innocent life to prevent it from happening. To me that says, we better deal with these folks now before they become even more emboldened, in which to strike out against the greatest defender of freedom on the face of the earth and that’s the United States, which they would like to try to do. And our job is to stop them from doing it, and at the same time lay the foundation for peace. I’m also strengthened by history, by my view of history. I realize there’s a lot of folks who have written off presidencies early in the presidency or before the presidency is over. And when in fact the long reach of history takes over, and people take a look back, they realize that the decisions made ended up making sense. And um, you know, I am, I want, I want people to understand this, when it’s all said and done, I will have made decisions on principles and I’m not changing my principles. And therefore, when I get back to Texas, after the presidency in two years, I’ll be able to look in the mirror and be proud of what I see.

Hume: Mr. President, thank you very much.


I appreciated his comments about how he can feel the strength from people praying for him. This made me feel as though I need to include the President and our government leaders in my prayers more often.

I especially like his statement that he makes decisions based on his principles. What a breath of fresh air in Washington. Someone actually trying to do what they feel is right, and not what they think will help their poll numbers or get them more power. He could be just saying what he thinks people want to hear, but I felt like he was speaking sincerly.